What I'm cooking and eating

24 February 2011

Liver and Bacon casserole

Husband adores liver. I'm not just so fond of it, but I can eat it. This was lovely with lots of vegetables. At least, the bits that weren't liver were lovely.... the bits that were, were, well, so-so!

2 rashers back bacon, chopped
A chunk (didn't weigh it) of pig's liver (from my brother's pigs, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped or crushed
1/2 pack button mushrooms
1 tin tomatoes
Squoosh of tomato puree
1/3 bottle red wine

Spray olive oil all over the inside of a casserole dish. Start the onion and garlic in the microwave. Put bacon and liver into the casserole, and fry, stirring constantly, until looking cooked. Add the rest of the ingredients, and season well. Bring to the boil and then put in a moderate oven for about 15-20 minutes, until all the vegetables are ready.

With hindsight, I should probably have tossed the liver in seasoned flour, which would have thickened the gravy, but it was, nevertheless, very good (especially if you didn't have much of the liver!).


Food Diary for Tuesday 22 and Wednesday 23 February

Tuesday 22


Sparrowfart: Tea

At skating: Banana, coffee

Breakfast: Cheese spread and tomato sandwich

Lunch: Fried egg and portabello mushroom in cheese-and-onion topped bap; salad; the end of the lemon tart.

Afternoon: Large mug tea

Later: Toasted bagel, 1/2 butter, 1/2 cream cheese.

Supper: Tortellini with cherry tomato and pesto sauce; fruit compote and natural yoghurt.

Wednesday 23

Was in rather a bad mood for much of the day, and I can't remember whether I had an afternoon snack or not. I don't think I did, as I had lunch rather late.

Breakfast: Tea, toasted bagel spread with butter; piece of Gouda

Lunch: The end of the salad, the end of the chicken and noodle soup.

Supper: Lamb dhansak from take-away.

No comments:

Post a Comment